Many homes in rural parts of Maui, Hawaii use cesspools to dispose of waste. Cesspools are essentially little more than holes in the ground where waste sits until it gets too full and needs to be pumped out. The waste often pollutes groundwater, and contaminates other natural water sources. The solution? Upgrade existing cesspools to septic tanks or connect the homes to sewer systems. This can stop water contamination, but only if homeowners can afford it. Luckily, there is a program that helps homeowners upgrade cesspools on the island of Maui.
What Program Helps Homeowners on Maui Afford a New Septic Installation?
The cost of a new septic system being put in will usually reach thousands of dollars. Considering the hole digging, removal of the cesspool, the installation of the tank and drain field pipes, and burial of the system, it makes perfect sense that it would cost so much.
But since the EPA, USDA, and local government entities are backing a statewide transition from cesspools to septic systems by 2050, there’s a program in place for homeowners and businesses to use to help cover the cost. This program is known as the Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF).
Be advised that the CWSRF does not wipe the cost out. It does some heavy lifting though, up to as much as 80%. Homeowners need to find a way to pay the other 20% without federal help. While it’s still a sizable expense, it’s far more manageable through the program. You can read more about the program here: https://health.hawaii.gov/wastewater/files/2019/10/FinancingConversions.pdf
New Septic Installation with Maui Pumping
Maui Pumping is more than just a septic pumping company. We have the equipment and know-how to upgrade your cesspool to a safe, modern, efficient septic system. Schedule your new septic installation now using our online scheduling tool, or by giving us a call any time of day or night, any day of the week at 808-871-7867.